Monday, March 26, 2007

The Purple SunFish Cruiser

It finally arrived!

I've wanted one of these bikes for some time and when I found one online that was purple, I knew it was destined to be mine! It arrived on Thursday, and lucky me, it was half assembled (Thanks to The Alaskan) by the time I got home. I would be cruzin' in no time! My excitement vanished, however, as he scratched his head with that look of frustration... "Look at the box this came in..." I look over to see a box that appeared to have been shipped around the world before it ended up on my door step. The box was badly beaten up, with get this, what appeared to be a hole the size of a basketball in the side that was covered by another piece of cardboard and taped up. Dented and dinged, it looked like it fell off the UPS truck (a few times) en route. Well, what do I expect for $100 from Wally World? He continues to rain on my parade, "And, there are parts missing, and look at the fenders, they're scratched and bent." Bummer all the way around. But since it was half way put together, he'd see if he could make it work.

As I am making dinner, I just happened to catch a glance of him out the front window test driving the cruiser. It's kind of like a guy who's brave enough to hold your purse for you in public (a purple purse with flowers no less!!). I smiled with a bit of pride at the sillyness of him in the saddle of the purple cruiser. And after all, since he tightened the screws, so I suppose he better be the first to try it out!

An hour later, I had my Purple SunFish Cruiser parked in the driveway waiting for it's maiden voyage. I gathered up the kids and their bikes and we were ready. I climbed aboard (Literally! It's bigger than I expected!) and the bike swayed and I balanced. WHOA! The Alaskan calls out, "Sure you'll be OK? Be careful!" I turn back and give him the look of death that says "Fack you! I've ridden a bike or two in my time!" only to smack right into my car. Look of death turns into sheepish grin, "Well, it's big..." Off we went down the street. I immediately notice that the fenders are both rubbing making a loud sound, but I am just too happy to be deterred from my jaunt around the block. I think I might LOVE this!

It breaks on a dime, which is good because steering is a bit different on this hulking thing. I think the handle bars being so wide is something to get used to. I managed to avoid a few collisions but when forced to navigate between two poles (we all know that my depth perception is a bit of an issue! Trying riding in a minivan with me if I have to park that thing! Try having me be a passenger while YOU try to park that thing! Yeah, I have spacial issues!), So, I am unable to negotiate the space. Another words, I WHACKED right into one of the poles! And there it was. DQ throughly embarrassed by my "uncool" behavior on the open road yells, "MMOOMM!" (If you have/had a teen ager, you know exactly the tone)

Back on the side street by the house and in the middle of the road (away from any possible obstacles) and feeling a little more confident (no more tight spaces), DQ calls out, "Mom you look funny." Yeah, well you look like Kermit the Frog all skinny and long legged on that tall adult bike! Sheesh! leave it to the kids to remind you that you are getting old and looking geeky! And considering the racket I was making cruzin' down the street, I'm sure she was right, I did look a little funny.

But oh well! It felt great! OK not the crashing part, but the cruzin' part!

No comments: