Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lost

"The greatest hazard of all, losing one's self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly." ~The Sickness Unto Death

Somehow, I've lost it again. I got lost in this and now I feel lost. I don't even remember what it was like before this mess. I try to recall what I wanted then, before all of this confusion, but it has faded like a dream, vaguely remembered, but the details no longer clear.

I gave myself up again telling myself that I would deal with the consequences later. Wrapped up in the moment I was unable, or unwilling, to consider the ache I would feel when he was gone. I thought I would find comfort that in the moment it was there, and so was I. But I forgot how it feels to detach. I forgot that I would question every word I ever said, every decision I even made. I forgot that I knew my heart would break.

I've lost my confidence, my resolve. I've lost the reasons I made the choices I made. How easily I waiver between being strong and being fragile. Looking for reassurance, but the image staring back at me from the mirror only says one thing, "Why?"

No comments: